Monday, April 03, 2006

EGM Subscription Services or Subscription Frauds? (Update 1)

So I renew my EGM subscription, shortly after it expires, and I choose "bill me later" They sure don't waste any time, I get a bill approximately two weeks later in the mail. It tells me "Thank you for subscribing to EGM, the first issue is on it's way. (Pay attention, there will be a test later.) I find something else rather odd about the subscription letter. It's worded somewhat forcefully. Now I have to paraphrase, because I no longer have this letter, but it says stuff like "Do yourself a favour and pay your bill promptly" This is one of the first letters I've ever gotten that looks like it's been written by the mafia. I believe it was about a month or two before I sent the bill, with a cheque, back to EGM. And by that time I was slightly irritated. Normally, a magazine subscription would suggest that you get an issue every month, but I still had not got my first issue yet. About two weeks later, I get an envelope in the mail that says We are currently processing your subscription, but will not continue to do so unless you pay your bill. (Again, a paraphrase. Now for this, I was furious. I emailed EGM, asking them why my MAR-06 (keep in mind this is sent around Feb. 1) hasn't arrived yet. I get a response saying: Dear Subscriber, We received your inquiry that you have not received the MAR-06 issue. We are unable to explain this problem, as our records show that all issues have been mailed correctly. To compensate for issue(s) missed your service has been extended. Your new expiration date is MAR-07. Thank you for alerting us to this problem. Sincerely, Tracey Customer Service I was somewhat stunned, as I had not expected that they had "already sent" this issue. Something seems fishy here. After all, if they have the wrong address or something, how come I keep on getting the bills...but not the issue? I email them back asking them to resend the MAR-06 issue. I get a response saying: * Unfortunately, we no longer have the requested issue available to resend. To compensate for issue(s) missed your service has been extended. Thank you for alerting us to this problem. Now I decide to let this slide, just once, as this is a reasonable response. As of writing this, it is April 3, and I haven't gotten my APR-07 issue (again, sent around Mar. 1) so, I sign in to customer service, and this pops up. Your current subscription will be expiring in the next few months. To avoid a lapse in service, please take a moment to renew your subscription today. Now I am completely furious about this. I email EGM again: Dear EGM: I have still not recieved an issue of EGM since I first renewed several months ago. I complained about not getting a MAR-06 issue a while ago and now I haven't gotten my APR-06 issue either. Also, when I go into customer support on www.neodata.com, it informs me that: Your current subscription will be expiring in the next few months. To avoid a lapse in service, please take a moment to renew your subscription today. This is completely unacceptable. I want my APR-06 issue or a full refund. Mike Dorval Updates shortly. Update 1: Got an email from EGM, again said that they didn't understand why I'm not recieving my issues, and then said that they're resending the April 06 issue, and I should get it between 6-8 weeks. Hmmmm... I'm starting to think maybe its Canada Post's fault, but I doubt it at the same time. I'll continue to update.

No comments: